Wednesday 6 March 2013

Simple yet effective relaxation tips!

We've all heard how important and beneficial meditation is. But it doesn't matter how many times we're told or how many statistics are thrown at us, we are still a stressed nation! Why don't we ever just take the time out to chill and De-stress? I know what you're thinking; "I don't have time to meditate, I have other things to do". I totally agree! Now that I'm at uni I sometimes feel that I don't even have the time and we live in a society now where EVERYTHING is go, go, go. Whether it's because you have children, a full-time or full-on job or even some mental health issues, it sometimes feels impossible to find any time.What if I told you that meditation doesn't need to last for more than half an hour? Here are a few of my favourite and a couple of personal tips to help you if you live very full-on lives.





Who here can instantly feel relaxed or fall asleep at the drop of a hat when they hear the sound of a thunderstorm? If you said yes, you will absolutely love this. If you're lying in bed listening to the sound of crickets and can visual tumbleweed tossing about in your mind, or you might have a million thoughts racing through your head, driving you insane. You know, those thoughts you have about something embarrassing  you did in the second grade and your brain thinks it's a fantastic time to rehash all of that? Well give this a listen and I can guarantee you'll instantly feel calm and relaxed. Just put your headphones in, press play and just zone out for a while. 




If you're stressing about a deadline or whatever stresses you have at work, simply take yourself away that environment for 10 minutes. Get a glass of water and soak up the rays and clear you mind. Studies have shown that taking yourself away from a stressful situation for 10 minutes can put you in a better frame of mind and make you work a lot better when you return. 




Breathe! I know, I'm either crazy or a genius, right?? It's weird when people say this but there is a right and wrong way when it comes to breathing.  If you breathe and your chest expands, you're doing it wrong. When you breathe, you need to use your diaphragm. When breathing in, your stomach should slowly expand and as you breathe out your stomach should do the complete opposite. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get it, it's the easiest thing in the world. If you suffer from panic attacks, you probably already know this technique but it's good for everyone, in fact, it's how we are supposed to breathe. When doing this, you will feel more relaxed!




You don't have to meditate on a beach in order to De-stress, even though the idea sounds incredible. Unfortunately for some of us, we don't have that luxury. Simply sitting down and listening to calming music is all it takes and bonus, when you're eyes are closed and doing your diaphragm breaths, when exhaling say the words "I am calm" does all sorts of wonders. Giving yourself reassurance in a relaxed environment, will make you feel so incredibly calm.  




Remember that stress isn't all that bad, it helps us excel and do a lot better in certain situations. But when it gets to a point where you feel like you can't even get through the day or you're taking it out on loved ones, it becomes a problem. You know yourself better than anyone and you only know what works for you and you only know when you will get to a breaking point. That's where these tips come in handy. I understand that you may not have the time to go to a meditation class because you have children or you don't have the money. I also know that some people only need a couple minutes to De-stress and they are fine and can not stand just sitting there for an hour. You do what's best for you! They work for me and have helped me get through the day without tearing my hair out. I hope they help you and I hope you at least give them a try!



See you next time!


X
 


No comments:

Post a Comment